“The object of this club shall be the promotion among its members and in the community of a larger appreciation of literature and the arts and of social intercourse founded upon such appreciation.” The Elizabethan Club Constitution
Founded in 1911, by Alexander Smith Cochran, Yale Class of 1896, the Elizabethan Club of Yale University is a private club that maintains a library and serves as a meeting place for conversation and discussion relating to literature and the arts.
The Elizabethan Club is located near the center of the Yale University campus in an early nineteenth-century house that was part of the founder’s original gift. At the clubhouse, the members enjoy tea every afternoon during Yale University’s Fall and Spring terms.
Membership in the Elizabethan Club, by invitation only, includes undergraduates, graduate students, Yale University faculty and staff.
The Club’s emblem is a falcon, as found on Queen Elizabeth’s badge.